The Bizdom Brand Story
We built so much of the concept of this business before finding a name and brand but were so pleasantly surprised about how the brand brought our vision to life – we wanted to share the story and background to our name and brand.
What’s in a name?
We hired a copywriter to come up with a set of names and taglines for the business. Working through what we wanted the name of our business to reflect was not the easiest task. We realised through the process that what sets us apart from the rest is that we have been there before, we’ve built and sold businesses of our own as well as helped others achieve success through the scale and sales of their businesses. Wisdom was important to include in our new business name.
Business + Wisdom = Bizdom.
As Chartered Accountants it’s important that we communicate that we are not all about the numbers, we are about holistic business success.
Business has many facets, finances is one of them and an area we excel at, however business is also made up of leadership, systems and processes, sales, marketing and HR – other areas that we also wanted to continue to work with our clients on.
Building a brand is no easy task; we had to get clear on what we wanted to communicate and with who. We have worked with all different types of business – large/small, complex/simple, product/service based businesses – and have applied our services to these different types of businesses.
As a team, we realised it’s the people who work for Bizdom and the people in our customers that matter.
It’s about connection and real people doing real business with real challenges. We can’t break that down into a traditional niche or demographic and that’s why we went with people as our core imagery for the Bizdom brand.
Our designer also came up with a motif that supports the message and appears as the D and O in our logo lock up. The motif is based on a strand of DNA or a person to indicate ‘people centric + DNA’ and when turned on its side it also says DO – and we are all about action so that was a very clever addition and one that we use to communicate the essence of our brand with new clients.
Learning’s from our branding journey.
Here are the top 5 learning’s from our journey.
- Give yourself some time – even if you don’t have all of the answers engage with your creative team early, we launched our brand in 6 weeks and it was a push, we got there but could have had more time to think on the detail.
- Find an owner to wear the brand hat – if you have worked with me before you will know I am hot on ensuring accountability is created in businesses by using the 10 hats in business model. It’s super important that you and your creative team whether in-house or outsourced understand who is accountable for what.
- Get your team on-board. Whether you’re re-branding or starting from scratch it’s important to engage your team in the journey. You want them to be proud and understand the values being communicated.
- Invest in brand guidelines. A set of brand guidelines is invaluable once your core brand process is complete. Brand guidelines are a set of guidelines that detail the colour breakdowns, how to use the logo and any associated brand assets properly and what the brand stands for. It’s great to send out to new partners or creative completing things like signage or marketing materials to ensure the essence of the brand is looked after.
- You’ve got to love it. Your brand is something you work alongside every day and is constantly evolving – so you have to love it. Spend the time talking through why your creative have chosen what they have to communicate your message, have robust discussion and take the time to get it right first time, you won’t regret it.